Monday, January 27, 2014

Blindsided

I feel so blindsided.  I came home after a very long school day to find a letter in my son's backpack asking that I give permission to put him into a Title 1 reading group.  I lost it.  I called my sister (my elementary education expert).  I cried.  I listened.  And, she put me back together.  

I know my precious boy needs extra help.  Deep down I've known that for a long time.  I've asked hard questions and was assured that I had nothing to worry about.  I want him to succeed.  I want the school to want him to succeed.  

I'm mad because no one bothered to call me.  No one bothered to provide information about why he was being moved there.  No one mentioned at parent-teacher conferences that this was a potential.  No one has ever answered my questions of concern in a straight forward way.  Just a letter in a backpack that I (an educator) could barely understand.  

Today I despise public education.  I am a public school teacher.  I know all about "the system" and I hate it. And today that failing system touched my family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment