Thursday, May 2, 2013

Confessions of a Working Mom

I'm having one of those weeks.  You know the ones where you feel like you're on a rapidly spinning merry go round and you just can't get off or maybe it's more like an escalator that never ends.  What?  You've never had that feeling?

 Truth be told, being a working mom is H.A.R.D.  I know being a stay at home is really hard too.  I'm not trying to compare the two.

I'm just saying that I am trying really hard to embrace that this is where God has me for the moment and try and be content and enjoy each day for what it is.  When I think about all of things I would like to do or maybe even should be doing, I get overwhelmed and feel guilty.  Then, I just give up and it all gets worse and I feel worse.  Terrible cycle.  I also find myself making comparisons between myself and other moms  (thank you Facebook, Pinterest, and dare I say, even church).  When I make those comparisons, I feel like I'm the only person who just can't get it together.  It's not good for me.

For example, last night at my daughter's dance recital parent meeting I was reminded that I have to get the required tights for her dance pictures on Saturday.  I've known this since last week.  I had time last weekend to get them and guess what I completely spaced off getting that done.  Ugh.

I constantly tell myself, "You work nine hours a day, your husband works second shift, and you have two preschoolers.  You get done what you get done and that's okay."

My mom (who was also a working mom) once told me after our son joined our family, "Some days you'll get a lot done.  Other days you won't get anything done and that's okay."

Biggest lesson I've learned the last five years of mommyhood:  there is no such thing as a Supermom or having it all.  It is one big balancing act.

Take this week for example:

  • Today is Thursday and I have already worked 36 hours.  More like 39 if you count the 3 hours I have  spent at the grocery store getting supplies for my culinary classes.  More like 42 if you count the 2 hours of lesson plans I did on Monday night and the other hour last night.  Typical.  
  • The kids and I ate dinner on the deck two nights in a row it was so nice outside.  I should tell you that we do not have deck/patio furniture so this required a little creativity on my part.    
  • I swung on the swingset alongside my kiddos two nights in a row and loved every minute of it.
  • We read six stories from the Jesus Storybook Bible.  My kids are cracking up at the story of David and Goliath.  They are in love with Goliath.  Well, mostly in love with the things Goliath says in the storybook version.  
  • I helped both kiddos pick up their rooms...cleanest rooms in the house right now.  The intent was to do two rooms/night, but we didn't make much progress.
  • I did enough laundry to keep everyone clothed, but the piles of laundry still need some serious attention.

I have not:
  • Gotten up any earlier than 5:40 all week which means I haven't done my hair all week or last week now that I think about it.  
  • Cleaned my kitchen all week.  I think Hubs got tired of it and ran the dishwasher earlier this week, but things are really piling up again.  I assure you nothing nasty is growing in there.  Mostly just things that need to be put away or go in the dishwasher.
  • Cleaned bathrooms.  I did clean them last week so they are not terrible.  I promise.
  • Picked up the downstairs.  It really looks like a bomb went off.  A bomb full of Easter eggs.  Is my daughter the only one who is obsessed with Easter eggs?  I thought I hid them all, but I swear she has secret stashes of them.
  • Unpacked/organized the master bedroom/bathroom/closet since we moved in January.  I'm thinking at this point, I should just wait for the school year to be over.
  • Fed my son breakfast at home once.  I do feed him, I promise.  One of the perks of being a FACS teacher is I keep a stash of breakfast stuff for him in my classroom for rushed mornings.
  • Begun to sort/organize for the garage sale I am having with my sister next weekend.  
It's just one of those weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment