Thursday, May 2, 2013

Update: Goals for 2013


Personal
1--Get up early, even on weekends.
This is going so, so.  I sleep until 5:40 most mornings, but I have quiet time and I'm not cranky or frazzled with my kids so I'm calling it a win.  I would like to start getting up at 5 so I have some time to work on quiet projects.

2--Spend daily time in the Word.

Working hard on this.  The rule I made for myself is to spend time in the word before any blog reading or social media checking.

3--Read at least one book a month.
Here's the list.  
  1. Bringing Up Boys
  2. Bringing Up Girls
  3. Unplanned
  4. Loved By Choice
  5. The Ministry of Motherhood
  6. The Cost of Discipleship
  7. Loving the Little Years
  8. Eat that Frog
  9. Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
  10. The Year We Disappeared
  11. What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast
  12. Let It Go
  13. Taking Care of the Me in Mommy
I haven't read any books probably since the fall.  Oh, how I miss it.  Once school is out...

4--Use your planner.
Working on it.  This is making a difference.  I bought stick on pockets so I can keep my bills in my planner.  I *try* to write down everything I need to remember and then a weekly to-do list.

5--Develop one habit per month.

 I did make a list so that is a little bit of progress... 

Marriage & Family

1--Go on at least one date per month.
We have done this once in the last 4 months.  Sad.  My husband works second shift and then a second job on Friday and Saturday nights.  We really need to work on this.

2--Communicate an I respect to Hubs every week.

Not yet.  I think of things I want to write/say and then I forget.  Going to be much more intentional about this.

3--Read to my children more.  Here's the list

Jesus Story Book Bible - almost done!
The Little House Series - getting ready to order them
I am also trying hard to make it a habit to read to them every night before putting them to bed.  Even if we're late on the bedtime routine, one or two books do not take that much time.

4--Play more.

Trying so hard to to say yes and I'll... or to give them a definite time frame.  

5--Plan at least 2 special family events per month.

Zilch.  In this season of life the most special family event is just being together. We relish and guard our Saturdays.

6--Spend special time with each child each week.

Since Hubs' work schedule changed, it's just me and the kids every week night.  On the weekends, I try to take each one with me for a different errant/outing.

7--Help Mister K and Miss G connect with grandma C every week.

Working on drawing pictures to send to her and trying to talk Grandma into getting Skype.

8--Host a S cousins get together.

This makes me so nervous, but I really want to do it.  

Friendship

1--Write one note of encouragement each month.
Nope.

2--Re-connect with KH.

Currently still trying to find her :(  

3--Be intentional about making plans with Dport area friends when we visit.

Yes.

4--Re-connect with BT.

BT teaches too so we're waiting for summer.

5--Participate in (fruit appropriate) staff activities at school.

Yes.  

6--Host a couple/family for dinner at least once a month.

Not yet, but we have met some people we would like to invite ;)


Faith & Ministry


1--Get plugged in to a Sunday School class.
Summer?

2--Join a small group.

Love them!

3--Find a way to serve as a family.

 Hmm?

4--Join a ministry

My idea of ministry is to register as a foster family.  Hubs - not so much.  We need to pray about this.

4--Go to a women's conference or retreat.


5--Reach out to our new neighbors.

We've met three of the four closest neighbors and we invited the kids from the apartments behind us to come and play a couple of times.

6--Do at least 3 Bible Studies (either independently or corporately)

The Frazzled Female
Unglued
?Mothering?
Summer?

Work


1--Remember this year for what it is.
Switching jobs is hard.  Moving is hard.  Leaving your colleagues whom you love behind stinks.  Everyone tells you that.  This is not the year to change everything.  You are in survival mode.  Let the other things go.
Changing my thinking in this area has lifted a HUGE weight.  I don't feel as overwhelmed.  I enjoy my days much more and I feel like I can breathe.  Much more manageable.  Every time I think of something I want to change or improve, I add it to a list for the summer.

2--Return assignments within one week of student's handing them in.
Having massive amounts of things to grade is the worst and it makes it hard to maintain accurate grades and then students start to grumble and then you feel like a bad teacher...which you're not.  Chunk out large projects/papers so they can be returned on time.
Well, I haven't consistently made the 1 week deadline, but I am doing MUCH better and I feel like a much better teacher.

3--Leave ready for the next day.

  If you plan ahead, you can make better use of the time you do have at school.  Plus, you have been doing this long enough...you have things to use.  
This makes a huge difference.  I've been staying 30min later than I used to at my old school, but that hour and ten minutes at the end of the day allows me to take very little home.

4--Stick to a set schedule for my student association.

Plan meetings for every other Tuesday.  Plan officer meetings.  Plan chapter events each month.  Do what you say you will do.
We elected new officers, held our end of the year potluck and are winding down.  I have learned so much about what I want to do differently next year and by re-structuring leadership positions have delegated more responsibility to the students.

5--Do two things each week to improve classroom management.

Being an organized teacher is essential for successful teaching.  
See #1 - There are so many things on "the list".  New programs, new classrooms, new schools all have my head spinning.  Things I do daily:  grade something, clean off my desk, and clean/organize the foods lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment