Friday, September 11, 2015

Why I'm Getting Up Earlier

I really am a morning person.  Deep down I know it is better for me to get up before the rest of my house. All that said, I have been struggling in this area.  Badly.  

During the school year, the absolute latest I can sleep and get all of us to school on time is 5:40am.  What time have I gotten up most of the 100+ days of the current school year?  5:40am.  Not good.  Every night I set my alarm for 5:00.  Every morning I hit snooze until 5:40.  

Weekends are worse.  For a long time I have been waking up to my kids on Saturday and Sunday.  7am or 8am or maybe even later.  I love them to pieces, but waking up to a constant stream of requests is not so pleasant.  It does not create a great tone for the day.  Not at all.  

Summers are just down right embarrassing.  Let's not even talk about that...

When I think about changing bad habits, this is #1 on my list.  I have to train myself to be an early riser.  

What's working for me...

1--I plug my iPhone in in the master bathroom and set my alarm for 5am.  I'm on day 4 and I've done pretty good so far.  Minus the snow day and the sick day this week.  But, progress is progress.  When my alarm goes off I turn on the light, start the shower, count to 10 (seriously), and then turn off the alarm.  

2--Going to bed by 9:30 or 10pm.  I read a little and then try to shut down for the night by 10:30.  


Today, even though it was Saturday I got up at 5:15.  Here's a list of everything I accomplished today:
  • Showered, dressed, dried part of my hair
  • Bible study, coffee
  • Graded 3 assignments @ 20 students/assignment
  • Started the dishwasher
Kids up at 7am
  • Breakfast for kiddos
  • Helped Miss G with her Hello Kitty sticker project
  • Finished getting ready to go take care of a couple errands
  • Washed and dried sheets
  • Started second load of sheets
  • Wrote long email to my student teacher outlining the week
  • Went to Target to take care of Valentine's Day stuff
  • Went to the local library to re-stock on books
  • Lunch
  • Read with the littles for 45 minutes
  • Helped littles pick up living room
  • Helped littles find activities for rest time
  • Outlined and posted lesson plans for the week
  • Snack
  • 2 more loads of laundry
  • Cleaned 2 toilets
  • Dinner in the crock pot
  • Unloaded and re-started the dishwasher
  • Helped Miss G address and put together half of her Valentines
  • Re-organized/cleaned out our mud room drop spot
  • Spent 30 minutes cleaning out the basement
  • Dinner
  • Unloaded and re-started the dishwasher again.
  • Cleaned up from dinner.
  • Read to littles again
  • Put littles to bed.
  • Updated blog
I am so impressed with myself!  Usually I wouldn't accomplish half the things on this list during the whole weekend.  


No comments:

Post a Comment