I really am a morning person. Deep down I know it is better for me to get up before the rest of my house. All that said, I have been struggling in this area. Badly.
During the school year, the absolute latest I can sleep and get all of us to school on time is 5:40am. What time have I gotten up most of the 100+ days of the current school year? 5:40am. Not good. Every night I set my alarm for 5:00. Every morning I hit snooze until 5:40.
Weekends are worse. For a long time I have been waking up to my kids on Saturday and Sunday. 7am or 8am o
r maybe even later. I love them to pieces, but waking up to a constant stream of requests is not so pleasant. It does not create a great tone for the day. Not at all.
Summers are just down right embarrassing. Let's not even talk about that...
When I think about changing bad habits, this is #1 on my list. I have to train myself to be an early riser.
What's working for me...
1--I plug my iPhone in in the master bathroom and set my alarm for 5am. I'm on day 4 and I've done pretty good so far.
Minus the snow day and the sick day this week. But, progress is progress. When my alarm goes off I turn on the light, start the shower, count to 10 (seriously), and then turn off the alarm.
2--Going to bed by 9:30 or 10pm. I read a little and then try to shut down for the night by 10:30.
Today, even though it was Saturday I got up at 5:15. Here's a list of everything I accomplished today:
- Showered, dressed, dried part of my hair
- Bible study, coffee
- Graded 3 assignments @ 20 students/assignment
- Started the dishwasher
Kids up at 7am
- Breakfast for kiddos
- Helped Miss G with her Hello Kitty sticker project
- Finished getting ready to go take care of a couple errands
- Washed and dried sheets
- Started second load of sheets
- Wrote long email to my student teacher outlining the week
- Went to Target to take care of Valentine's Day stuff
- Went to the local library to re-stock on books
- Read with the littles for 45 minutes
- Helped littles pick up living room
- Helped littles find activities for rest time
- Outlined and posted lesson plans for the week
- 2 more loads of laundry
- Cleaned 2 toilets
- Dinner in the crock pot
- Unloaded and re-started the dishwasher
- Helped Miss G address and put together half of her Valentines
- Re-organized/cleaned out our mud room drop spot
- Spent 30 minutes cleaning out the basement
- Unloaded and re-started the dishwasher again.
- Cleaned up from dinner.
- Read to littles again
- Put littles to bed.
- Updated blog
I am so impressed with myself! Usually I wouldn't accomplish half the things on this list during the whole weekend.